Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Religion ,Alzheimer's and My Dad

My dad was a very spiritual, religious man. I never thought that he'd forget about something that he had such great love for all his life. More and more I am getting frustrated toward this horrible disease called Alzheimer's.

My dad was born and raised in the LDS religion. He was a Bishop during my teenage years. I remember so many people counting on him for his council during those years. He was such a wonderful leader and loved by many. Still loved by many even though he doesn't have communication much with anyone anymore, I know they still think about him and pray for him. Alzheimer's has stripped his memory of something that he lived and breathed. His religious beliefs. He doesn't talk about it anymore nor do I believe that he even knows what church he belongs to. It's unfortunate that he doesn't get to go to church much since my mom has such a hard time getting around. He relies on her to take care of him. He needs to go to church and it hit me big this past Sunday. I was sitting at his kitchen table talking with him briefly. Actually, it was quiet at the table until he asked me how life was over on my end. I am not sure if he even knows much about my life anymore. He knows me and thats about all he remembers. So, I answered him by saying everything was great and I had a great day at church. He looked at me with a strange look in his face and he asked "what church do you belong to"? My heart broke at that moment.

I am convinced that Alzheimer's not only takes your mind but it disconnects you from your soul. It's evil.

I too was born and raised in the LDS church with parents who have a strong love for Christ. They taught us why we are here on this earth and what we need to do to return to our heavenly home. Before my dad suffered with memory loss, there is no doubt that he knew what my religious beliefs were and what church I belong to. He taught me so much about what I believe today. So, I was so shocked when he looked at me so clueless and asked me that heart breaking question.

I just want my dad back. When will they ever find a cure for Alzheimer's?


Well, at least I can say this one thing, his disease is only temporal. I am grateful that I get to be with him on the other side someday. It will be an environment of perfection, free from Alzheimer's. Then I can say, I have my dad back.....and it will be forever.


Posted by Krista

Source: http://www.alzheimersteam.com/2008/09/religion-and-alzheimers.html



Forget yourself for others, and others will never forget you.

No comments: