Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Actors unite in Sport : Mumbai Marathon

It all seems surreal when you witness a grand sporting event like a Marathon which is considered the ultimate test of stamina, grit and gumption. Also to get a whopping response from the likes of the Mumbaikars who are often seen chasing jobs, trains, dreams but not gyms, makes it all the more special.

It was a beautiful Sunday morning. The marathoners sported jerseys with vibrant hues that symbolized their enthusiasm and verve! The environment was electric as the runners irrespective of their age, gender, caste, religion took to streets and showed off their sporting spirit in style. While some ran to support personal causes like 'make Mumbai crime-free', other ran to support a cause.

Blending in the mood of Mumbai were also Bollywood celebs who added a dash of glamour to the event. Shabana Azmi, Tanisha, Aparna Sen, Rahul Bose, Arshad Warsi, chef Sanjeev Kapoor, actor Om Puri, Milind Soman, industrialist Anil Ambani with wife Tina Ambani were the celebs added to the grandeur and spirit of sport and the city.

Bipasha Basu and John Abraham flagged off the Dream Run (approx. 7 km) but stayed away from running the whole seven kms. "I wanted to participate in the half marathon (21 km) but I don't think that is possible this year. I will run for a while though in the Dream run. I haven't trained as one doesn't have to be trained to run 7 km.," said John, while Bipasha had her reasons for not running. "I love to run and do it quite often but I am suffering from a knee injury and have been advised not to run by doctors", she said.

Wearing a red cap and a yellow shirt with 'Harmony' engraved on it, Shabana was at her sporting best. "Don't you think 'my look' is cute", joked the actor as we spotted her flagging off the 'Senior Citizens' run for Tina Ambani. "I am here to support Rahul Bose's NGO, The Foundation for the Tsunami affected children, I am also here to encourage the senior citizens", said Shabana. Rahul further told us why he named his NGO 'The Foundation'. "The 'foundation' of everything is love and that is what we aim to do so I chose to call my foundation as 'The Foundation'."

Arshad Warsi too ran for 'Harmony'. "I feel so positive being here," said Arshad as he ran for Tina Ambani's NGO for senior citizens. The celebs who deserved a pat on the back were however Milind Soman and Anil Ambani. Both ran the half Marathon (21 km) and finished it impressively with breaking their own previous records. "I regularly run around 20-30 km a week as I am a fitness addict. I am overwhelmed to see people coming and cheering each other like this, given that we've never had the tradition of this kind of exercise", said Milind.

"I think I did better this time", said Anil as he hurriedly sat in his car as soon as he finished his race.

Overall the Mumbai Marathon was an event, which showcased the triumph of human spirit in full capacity. We salute the participants, the organizers and our filmi log for putting up such an inspiring show!

Source: http://movies.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2717082.cms



Forget yourself for others, and others will never forget you.

No comments: