Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Senior citizens full of life

A s youngsters, we are so caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life. There's college, then work, goals to be achieved and responsibilities to be fulfilled. But what if one day, suddenly, life moves into a slower lane and you finally have time to smell the roses. Well, that's retirement. Senior citizens finally find time in the autumn of their lives to pursue their passions and contribute to the society. The Senior Citizens Forum (SCF) aims to do just that.

The SCF celebrated its 14th anniversary yesterday at Sweekar Upkaar Rehabilitation Centre, Secunderabad. "The forum's activities include counselling, free medical inspections and organising interactive sessions at a daily day care centre," says retired Colonel N.A. Kumar, president of the SCF. The members also visit old age homes around the city, drop in to cheer up the elderly who're not keeping well and make it a point to remember each member's birthday.

The forum has virtually adopted Centenary High School, providing scholarships and distributing uniforms. "While I was working, I was bound by my duties, but now I have the time to do what little I can for the society," says Dr R.V. Reddy, a retired government officer who is now an advisory consultant to pharmaceutical companies, WHO, UNICEF and Clinton Foundation, USA.

"I feel I am more busy now than when I was working," says treasurer M. Ramanand, retired deputy general manager of Allwyn Hyderabad. "Since I retired in 1986, I have pursued my passion for travelling. I travel the world with my wife and devote my free time to social work," he says. The members of SCF are self-sufficient and do not depend on their children. "During my service, I earmarked 35 per cent of my income for retirement so my finances have been managed successfully," he adds.

Vice-president of SCF, retired divisional security commissioner for railways, V.K. Narasimhan also discovered a passion after retirement. "I trained in pranayam and yoga in Haridwar under Swami Ramdev. Now I rise at 4:00 every morning and teach yoga," he says. A founding member of the Wahabnagar colony, he also enjoys crosswords, sudoku and the Tom and Jerry show.

"All of us are in the later part of life and we have so many experiences and views to share, so we meet everyday at the day care centre" says SCF secretary Varun K., retired manager of Park Davis. "An idle mind is the devil's workshop and loneliness tends to creep up on you, so it's very important for us to be a part of this group and spend time together," he adds.

Source:Deccan Chronicle ePaper


Forget yourself for others, and others will never forget you.

No comments: